For those suffering from discomfort, finding a good mattress topper for back pain is a top priority. It’s a familiar problem to many of us. You wake from a night’s sleep only to find that your back is stiff and aching. Although there are many possible causes of back pain including lifestyle factors and joint conditions, for many people their bedding is adding to the problem.
Of course, in an ideal world you would be able to replace your entire mattress to help address your back problem. However, if you’re on a budget this simply may not be an option. Therefore, a good compromise is to invest in a mattress topper designed to help combat your low back pain. With a multitude of brands and materials on the market nowadays, it can be hard to know which to choose.
Don’t worry, Here at Sleep Reports we are experts in bedding for those with back pain. In this article, we’ve compiled a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you every step of the way. Then, to provide you with inspiration, we’ve reviewed our 7 best mattress toppers for back pain in 2020.
7 Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain Relief
|Image||Name and Feature||Rating||Price|
LUCID 3″ Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Ultimate Dreams Full 3″ Talalay Latex Medium Mattress Topper
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Full Mattress Topper
Gel Memory Foam Topper
Zinus 2 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Queen
SleepJoy 2″ ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Queen
Pure Green 100 percent Natural Latex Mattress Topper
You may also try the product below to relief back Pain
7 Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain Reviews 2020
Our experts have been working tirelessly to research various mattress toppers touted as being ideal for back pain. After careful consideration, we’ve selected 7 that we think would be a great pick for anyone hoping to improve their back pain using a mattress topper. Here are the latest reviews of the 7 best mattress toppers for back pain relief.
1. LUCID 3″ Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This mattress topper has a super-plush feel for a touch of luxury, and measures in at 3 inches thick. It is made of high-quality memory foam with open cell technology, which helps it to conform to the shape of your body.
This will provide great support to your spine and joints. Therefore, it’s a great pick topper for those who suffer from back pain.
Furthermore, this topper is extremely breathable, allowing for superior air circulation while you sleep. This helps to keep you cool and comfortable all night long. Overheating during the night can disturb your sleep, reducing its quality. Therefore, if you frequently wake up hot and sweaty in the night, this is well worth taking into consideration.
Also, the foam in this mattress has been Certi-Pur certified. This means it has been through a rigorous testing process to ensure that no toxic chemicals are used in its manufacture. This provides great reassurance that you won’t be breathing in any toxins as you sleep.
2. Ultimate Dreams Full 3″ Talalay Latex Medium Mattress Topper
If you’re looking for a latex mattress topper, this may be the product for you. The latex provides excellent support for your spine and joints, and some people find it more supportive and comfortable than memory foam. Furthermore, it is completely hypoallergenic, perfect if you find that other types of bedding can set off your allergies at night.
Furthermore, this mattress topper comes in 3 levels of firmness: soft, medium and firm. This allows you to choose the level of support required for your particular needs.
Furthermore, this topper boasts excellent breathability, keeping you cool and comfy even in a hot environment. It has also been designed specifically to resist flattening or sagging after prolonged use.
3. Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Full Mattress Topper
This dual-layered mattress topper has a layer of fibre quilting and a gel memory foam layer. Also, it has a pillow-top finish. This means that you get the benefit of the foam conforming to your body with extra cosy softness. The product offers great support no matter what position you sleep in. Furthermore, this topper comes with a cover that is machine-washable, so you can keep it clean easily.
If you tend to sleep hot, this is a great option for you. Gel memory foam helps to draw heat away from your body as you sleep. Therefore, you should stay cool and comfortable all night long.
4. Gel Memory Foam Topper
Measuring 3 inches thick, the gel memory foam of this fantastic topper provides excellent support to sore joints, relieving pressure.
Furthermore, it supports your spine into a more healthy alignment. If you overheat in the night, this is a great option. The gel memory foam is designed to dissipate heat, leading to a cooler and more comfortable night’s sleep.
Furthermore, this is another topper that is Certi-Pur certified. Certi-Pur assess products under very strict guidelines for toxin emissions. When a product has this prestigious certification, it is guaranteed not to release harmful chemicals into the air. This means you can be confident that you won’t be breathing in toxins as you sleep.
Finally, this product comes with a generous 60 day money back guarantee if you’re not happy with the product. Furthermore, it comes with a 3 year manufacturer’s warranty.
5. Zinus 2 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Queen
If you’re on a bit of a budget, this memory foam topper fits the bill perfectly. It is affordable while still providing excellent comfort and support. Also, it comes in a range of thicknesses, so you can make your selection based on your needs.It is made of gel memory foam, which is specially designed for back pain relief . This supports sore joints and helps to achieve good spinal alignment.
Furthermore, this material has a cooling effect, helping to dissipate heat as you sleep. Therefore, this is an ideal option if you tend to sleep hot. Furthermore, this topper is fully Certi-Pur certified, so it will not emit any toxins into the air as your sleep that could harm your health. Also, it comes with an extremely competitive 5 year manufacturer’s warranty, in case anything goes wrong with your product.
6. SleepJoy 2″ ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Queen
Another budget-friendly topper, this product is made of supportive memory foam to give great support to your joints and spine. Furthermore, it is specially ventilated to allow heat to dissipate during the night.
Therefore, it’s another great option if you are someone who sleeps hot.Unlike many other memory foam mattresses, it is treated to be odour neutral.
This means it does not emit the unpleasant smell common with memory foam. Also, it includes plant-based materials, which lowers the product’s impact on the environment.
This mattress topper is Certi-Pur certified, and has undergone an extremely rigorous testing process. This ensures that the topper doesn’t emit any harmful chemicals into the environment during the night. This provides reassurance that you won’t be inhaling toxins during the night that could pose a risk to your health.
Finally, this product is manufactured in the USA. Therefore, it’s great if you want to purchase a product that’s been American-made.
7. Pure Green 100 Percent Natural Latex Mattress Topper
This fantastic topper is made from 100 percent natural latex, with no synthetic materials used. This is a superior option and offers excellent support to all of your joints. Furthermore, it is highly supportive to your back. It is a little softer that some of the other toppers we’ve reviewed, without compromising on the level of support offered. It has a medium firmness of 4 pounds per cubic foot.
The latex material is fully hypoallergenic, so it won’t trigger any night time allergies while you sleep. Also, it has antimicrobial properties. This prevents from germs and bacteria from building up inside your mattress topper. Therefore, it is more hygienic and sanitary.
The topper also carries the prestigious GREENGUARD certification. This means that it has been rigorously tested to ensure that it emits very lot levels of toxins, making for a safer and healthier night’s sleep.
Finally, the latex is super-breathable. This is great for people with back pain who tend to sleep hot, as it helps air to circulate inside the mattress topper. This keeps you cool and comfortable all night long.
Most Important Factors to Consider When Choosing
If you have a sore back, you will be looking for different features than your average consumer. While you may think buying the safest mattress topper for lower back pain will be expensive, the truth is you don’t have to break the bank. Even budget mattress toppers can be beneficial if you select carefully.
Furthermore, even if you splash out on the most expensive model on the market, it will be useless for easing discomfort unless you pick the right one for your particular needs.
So, what makes the best mattress topper to alleviate back pain? Here are the key features that you will need to consider.
- Carefully Consider The Material: Mattress toppers come in a variety of materials, from soft and fluffy feather down to memory foam or latex models. The key thing to bear in mind here is support. Memory foam or latex are often the best choice for those who suffer from chronic back pain. What makes these materials so ideal? First, they are able to mold to the individual shape of your body, cradling sore or sensitive joints. Also, they provide very good support, encouraging your spine into a healthy alignment. This can be very useful for tackling back pain. However, there are some people for whom feather down or another more fluffy material may be more suitable. This is the case if your mattress is too firm, and has a lot to do with the position you sleep in. We’ll touch on this more later.
- Look At The Topper Thickness: Thick mattress toppers are usually very firm. While you may have heard that a firm mattress or mattress topper is the best option for back trouble, this isn’t necessarily the case. A very thick topper can’t mold to your body. Furthermore, many people find these toppers too firm to be comfy. As we all know, there’s no hope of getting a good night’s sleep if you’re uncomfortable in your bed. Thin toppers are often more soft and snuggly-feeling, but these will give you too little support. Therefore, a medium thickness is probably your best mattress topper for back pain relief. It provides a happy compromise between being supportive but still comfy enough to get a relaxed night’s slumber.
- Check Out How Dense The Topper Is:This factor also contributes to the overall firmness of the mattress. The denser the material, the firmer the topper. These densities are measured in pounds per cubic foot. In a similar way to thickness, a very dense topper will be too firm which can put pressure on sore joints. It won’t be able to conform to the curves of the body. Furthermore, it will most likely feel too firm to be comfortable to sleep on. Also, a topper with a low density will feel more spongy and cosy, but will not provide enough support to your spine. Therefore, neither a high or low density topper are good for back . As a rule, this will measure at around 3-5 pounds per cubic foot. This will allow the topper to mold to your shape which providing excellent support to your back. One exception is if you are plus size, as you will need a firmer density to support your bodyweight.
- Keep The Size Of The Bed In Mind: While it sounds obvious, the size and shape of your mattress will also have a bearing on which mattress topper is right for you. Before you buy, check the measurements to ensure your mattress topper will fit your bed snugly. Mattress toppers come in a variety of materials, from soft and fluffy feather down to memory foam or latex models. The key thing to bear in mind here is support. Memory foam or latex are often the best choice for those who suffer from chronic back pain. What makes these materials so ideal? First, they are able to mold to the individual shape of your body, cradling sore or sensitive joints. Also, they provide very good support, encouraging your spine into a healthy alignment. This can be very useful for tackling back pain.
However, there are some people for whom feather down or another more fluffy material may be more suitable. This is the case if your mattress is too firm, and has a lot to do with the position you sleep in. We’ll touch on this more later.
Certified Mattress Topper- Are They Safe?
There are two major certifications that are worth looking out for when you’re purchasing a mattress topper. During manufacture, many brands use potentially harmful chemicals. These are used for a variety of reasons, including fire-retardant treatments.
Unfortunately, these chemicals can be released into the air in your sleeping environment, meaning that you breathe them in as you sleep. Over time, this can pose a risk to your health. This is especially true if you suffer from a pre-existing health condition like asthma.
If you’re worried, there are two certifications that you can look for to provide you with reassurance that you are buying a safe product.
- Certi-Pur Certification: This certificationrefers specifically to memory foam. Any product that wants to achieve this certification must undergo a rigorous testing process to ensure it meets the high standards required. If your topper is Certi-Pur certified, this means that it has been manufactured without any chemicals known to be harmful. These include heavy metals, toxic fire-retardants, formaldehyde and VOCs. These substances are bad for the environment as well as your health. Therefore, Certi-Pur certified toppers are a great choice for the eco-conscious too.
- GREENGUARD Certification:This rigorous certification looks at the amount of toxic gasses given off by a product. To qualify, the levels that it emits must be extremely low. This provides customers with excellent peace of mind that they won’t inhale anything that could be a danger to their health as they sleep.
However, it’s worth bearing in mind that there are many ways that you can be exposed to toxic emissions. Unfortunately, many products present in our everyday lives emit harmful chemicals into the air. Therefore, if you want to ensure you are fully protected, you will need to look beyond your mattress topper and think about the other products in your sleeping environment. Luckily, GREENGUARD has plenty of great advice on their website to help you eliminate potential sources of harmful chemicals in your home. It’s well worth a read if this is something that concerns you.
Can Mattress Toppers Cause Back Pain?
Of course, your back pain may be caused by something other than your bed. However, some back pain can be caused by unsupportive bedding. That’s because, without adequate support, your spine and joints cannot rest in a healthy alignment. This will lead to aches and pains in the morning. Furthermore, any existing back problems can actually be exacerbated by the wrong bed.
So, how do you tell if your bed is to blame? First, ask yourself how old your existing mattress or mattress topper is. If it is flat or lumpy, or more than 8 years old in the case of a mattress, this is a big red flag and indicates you are not getting the right support.
Next, pay attention to when your back pain is worst. If it is acute on waking and then improves after you get up, the finger of blame is pointing squarely at your bed.
So, if you suspect your mattress is to blame, it may be time to replace it. However, sometimes this just isn’t practical. This could be because of your budget, or because your mattress is a relatively new purchase. In that case, a mattress topper may be the answer to your problems.
How Can a Mattress Topper Help With Back Pain?
You may be wondering how exactly a mattress topper can help with your bad back. First, it can provide an extra layer of support, encouraging your spine into a healthier alignment. Also, the problem may be that you are sleeping on a mattress that is too soft or too firm for your needs. Therefore, a mattress topper can provide extra firmness, or soften up a too-hard mattress.
Hopefully, now you have read our handy guide and reviews, you’ll be one step closer to finding the best mattress topper for back pain. After all, these are a convenient and affordable way to get relief from back pain without shelling out on an expensive new mattress.
However, make sure to weigh up the pros and cons of every product before you commit to making a purchase. Everyone’s sleeping needs are different, and you need to take your personal situation and the cause of your pain into consideration. This will help you to purchase a product best suited to ease your discomfort. Now you can look forward to many comfortable nights of sleep ahead of you, and hopefully pain-free mornings too. Happy snoozing, and sweet dreams!